Royal LePage: Top 10 Tips for Selling Your Home This Spring
TORONTO, May 11, 2011 – Spring is upon us and the housing market is set to enter its busiest time of the year. With winter a mere memory and lots of sunshine on the way, many potential homebuyers will be out and about looking for the perfect home to suit their needs and budget. If you’re preparing to put your home on the market this spring, there are a number of things you can do to erase signs of winter wear and improve your home’s appeal.
“Whether you’re in a buyer’s market or seller’s market, simple, cost-effective improvements like applying a fresh coat of paint to your home’s interior or exterior can transform your home and help attract greater interest from potential buyers,” said, Dianne Usher, Vice President and Division Manager, Royal LePage Real Estate Services, Johnston & Daniel Division. “Larger-scale improvements like renovations can also enhance a home’s appeal while some houses might require repairs after a long and harsh Canadian winter.”
To make sure your home is not only sale-ready but fetches the highest possible price, Royal LePage compiled a list of the top ten tips for selling your home this spring:
- Create curb appeal – First impressions count! Get rid of any debris that winter left behind, edge your gardens and add creative arrangements to your front porch.
- A fresh coat of paint goes a long way – Refresh the interior and exterior of your home by painting your walls, front door, garage, shed and fence.
- Clean, clean, clean! – Nothing will turn a potential buyer away quicker than a dirty home. Be sure to scrub your floors and wash your windows.
- Inspect your exterior – Have a professional check your property for any damage to your roof, shutters or siding caused by winter wear.
- Are renovations required? – An updated kitchen or bathroom might boost your home’s appeal as well as the value of your home.
- Engage the senses – Create a welcoming scent for potential buyers by lighting a few scented candles or placing fresh flowers throughout your home.
- Turn your backyard into an outdoor oasis – Update your patio furniture to create a relaxing outdoor environment.
- Reseal your driveway – This will remove any wear and tear and keep your driveway looking new.
- Depersonalize your home – Potential buyers want to picture themselves in your home. Remove family photos and diplomas.
- Rid your home of unwanted clutter – Donate gently used items to your local Royal LePage office by Friday, May 13th and take part in the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation’s National Garage Sale for Shelter on Saturday, May 14th. Every dollar raised by the nation-wide event supports local women’s shelters as well as programs to stop the cycle of family violence. For more information, visit www.royallepage.ca/shelter.
About Royal LePage
Serving Canadians since 1913, Royal LePage is the country’s leading provider of services to real estate brokerages, with a network of 14,000 real estate professionals in over 600 locations nationwide. Royal LePage is the only Canadian real estate company to have its own charitable foundation, the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, dedicated to supporting women’s & children’s shelters and educational programs aimed at ending domestic violence. Royal LePage is a Brookfield Real Estate Services Inc. company, a TSX-listed corporation trading under the symbol TSX:BRE.
For more information visit www.royallepage.ca.
For further information, please contact:
Mobile: (647) 222-0679
Direct: (416) 645-8201
Director, Public Relations and National Communications
Royal LePage Real Estate Services
Office: (416) 510-5783
Mobile: (416) 274-9906