Step 8: The Big Move
The day has arrived. And although there’s bound to be a bit of sadness about leaving your old home behind, there will be just as much excitement moving into your new one. Here are some tips for a smooth move:
• Make a moving checklist that details a plan for things that need to be done weeks before you move all the way up to moving day itself
• Plan for packing by clearly labeling boxes with the rooms in which they belong. You might even want to provide a small floorplan for the movers so they know exactly where to take them
• Make sure you get competitive quotes from reliable moving companies. Or, to save money, find out how much it would cost to hire a moving van yourself (And bribe your friends to help you)
• Cancel your cable and utilities and transfer any rented appliances (like water heater or furnace) to the new home owners. While you’re at it, make sure to have the gas, electricity, cable and phone hooked up at your new home
• Inform your key contacts – work, Canada Post, doctors, friends, pharmacy, etc… – of your change of address
• If you have children, make sure you talk to them and explain why you’re moving and reassure them that the friends they’ve made can continue to be their friends. Ask for their opinion too on things like what colour to paint their rooms. Try and make it exciting for them
• On moving day, plan an easy meal like picking up some take-out. Moving is stressful enough without having to cook
Congratulations. You’re all moved in. Enjoy your new home!
Whether you’re moving across town, across Canada, or across the world, Atlas Van Lines can get the job done. Royal LePage customers can take advantage of Atlas Van Lines’ exclusive Right Move program.
Request a free moving guide or moving estimate.